Monday, September 16, 2013

Riding.

These are the stairs that lead to my apartment, so my bike is parked next to mint condition 79 VW Bug 3 stories below.  The VW owner's wife caught him cheating and kicked him out.  He was so matter of fact about it, it struck me as odd.
Waves crashing over seawall onto bike lane. 
I have always wanted to live in a big city for a year, 3 months will be just fine thank you.  Started out on several rides and rather than most of my rides being on rural roads or in the woods they are mostly through urban areas.  I did ride along with horse drawn carts in the city center much like recumbent commuters on the way to work in CoMo.  The courteous drivers of Vintage Fiats and new and old Minis give a wide berth when passing.  Maybe protecting their cars or because bicycles are used by people they know.  I read a book about cycling culture, it stated that Americans tend to view bicycles as toys so you out grow them.  Coupled with owning a car as a sign of status and wealth.  It was interesting because they were researching this way back in the 30's and a loan banker was stating that people would go beyond their limits to get a car and sacrifice so much.  Social coming of age leading to driving and the status of car ownership has been maturing in the US for generations.  It seems people are starting to get back on bikes or is it that I just surround myself with bike people? 
Lost in a rural area and stopped to ask directions because the roads are occasionally marked.  Two kind police offices were munching on street hot dogs at the intersection kindly helped out.  Did I have a street dog while lost mid-ride with some WEBBLES?  Why yes, yes I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff...keep it coming! CMac