Sunday, September 22, 2013

Never leave home without...

Never leave home without a camera because something cool happens everyday, not only in Montevideo but in CoMo.  A new museum or a cool shop, is that why people love big cities?  Saturday I woke up slow and only had a ride to the country in mind and was letting the day just come at me.  Spent the morning talking with the VW owner who is now The Mercenary.  Working with the Royal Army he distilled stories about Germany, Israel, smoking hash and drinking in Morocco, Algeria and ice fishing in Buffalo with his Russia buddies.  He wants to take a trip up the coast next weekend but I have a feeling that I might end up someplace that might be a little too raw for me. 

Started out on a bike ride with the intention of riding till I could ride no more.  Mission accomplished.  The route took me east along the coast and inland through the country till almost reaching Pando then an alternate return route.  Wide lanes on rural roads made traffic not an problem.  Food gone and well into and Elvis, Santa and Jesus bonk I was making baby talk about dogs to myself.  Checking back into reality I realized food in the very near future was important.  Remembering a beach/road side empanada stand kept me slowly turning squares.  Tunnel vision, it must be the next turn, just over the next hill.  Finally the sign and a friendly greeting from a graying blond women deeply tanned with kind brown eyes in a white chefs coat cooking in an open kitchen frying fish that looked incredible.  Not much cash in my pocket so I got the empanadas filled with fish, rice, vegetables and spices.  The flaky crust was perfect with hints of char on the edges and the rest golden brown and delicious with a slight smoky flavor from being cooked in a wood fired oven.  After a few minutes rest taking in the ocean and letting the calories restore my ability to pedal circles I started on my way back down the coast and through the city.
Now I am starting to be able to find my way around the city based on the sun and the coast.  I was working my way back home taking streets and being semi lost but semi found.  Then I finally popped out on a road that I knew and in a few kms there were several 100 cyclist.  Recognizing my peps I stopped.  It was a dedication to a new cycling way through the city.  Hippsters, family's, trials riders, urban mountain bikers every group of cyclists was represented except roadies.  We rode in solidarity through neighborhoods with people cheering and music playing while the police blocked traffic at intersections.  It was like a peaceful critical mass, perfect for my first and all future ones.  The roads had large speed bumps to keep car speed down and signage for bicycles. 
It continues to amaze me that countries with far less resources than my state can pull off major cycling events.  While living in Guatemala they had a 3 week stage race around the country.  This is a poor developing nation with far less resources than Missouri which cannot keep a one week stage race.  

2 comments:

PooBah said...

The state of being somehwere between "semi-lost" and "semi-found" sounds like it might be damn close to perfection...

PooBah said...

The state of being somewhere between "semi-lost" and "semi-found" sounds like it might be pretty damn close to perfection.