Monday, March 14, 2011

Southbound Pachyderm

Loaded up the truck and Schot and I moseyed down south for warm weather and single track in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I try to inspire friends to levels of greatness with the promise of cookies and dinner for race results.  This time I offered Schot dinner if he beat Manny. Tall order, but he has taken me for more cookies and dinners than anyone. While walking back from breakfast, I pointed to a racer eating in our hotel lobby and said, "There's Manny. Wonder if he knows you are going to drop him today?"  At the elevator said racer, signaling to Schot, walked up and asked politely "You guys here for the race?" Pleasantries and confirmation followed: Manny was on to Schot. I lost all focus because Manny was with his teammate and my favorite mountain biker Pua.  

The dry rolling course was rocky but not too rocky with bridges over major water crossings to keep feet dry. It was mostly single track with maybe 2-3 km of double track weaving through recently burned pine forest. A few dogwoods and magnolias were blooming and the switchbacks gave riders time to take in the flowers. The highlight for me were the sweet jumps with smooth landings. I looked forward to tossing a tabletop each lap and wondered if other people did tabletops when no one was around.

I was scared going into the race because I have not ridden/raced my dirt bike for 6 hours since 2008 and was just hoping to finish. For me I rode great and was totally stoked to finish 20th. Still bummed I did not get to by Schot dinner, but I am sure he will earn one from me this year sometime. 

2 comments:

David Henderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heavy D said...

Sounds like a blast! You almost beat your favorite female mountain biker!!!