Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day in the Life of Haricot Verts

Random photos of my day with a random incident that really confuses, bums and makes me mad. I ride to and from work to wake up, get fresh air and improve productivity. I commute in my geek outfit and follow traffic rules. In a bike lane that ends with cars and bikes merging at an intersection, I stopped behind the two cars waiting at the light. A green minivan rolls up super close to me. I look at the soccer mom and smile in hopes that she realizes I am a person. Cold stare from her. Next thing, the light turns green and the van is hitting me. I remain upright but stunned. She slows and waits to make sure I am upright, then speeds away. Confused, I miss the license plate. I sit on the curb, regain myself, and solider home. I have been hit before but I genuinely believe those were accidents. This was different. She knew I was there, but she hit me. Why? First, I was pissed. Then scared when I realized her front wheel could have pulled me under her car, and my wife would be visiting me at a hospital. It makes me sad to think that she really was trying to hit, maim or kill a total stranger. Was she trying to prove a point? She was not in that much of a hurry because she slowed afterwards. Why?
Be safe out there folks and I might take the bus to work from now on because cars move out of the way of the bus.

7 comments:

Schottler said...

What intersection was it at? A lot of major intersections have camera's set up, so it may have been recorded.

Haricot Verts said...

Worley and Garth = no camera.

Dan said...

Holy shit. It sounds like you're not hurt but is everything in working order?

What an incredibly horrible human being. No excuse.

evenslower said...

I know what the lady who hit me (few years ago, thankfully only time, knock on wood) a few moments after we made eye contact, both at a complete stop used for her excuse "I'm not supposed to be driving, I just had neck surgery and I'm on pain medication."

You just never know who or what's out there.

S. Smith said...

That does sound scary. I've gotten hit a couple of times, too, but its always been an accident. Soccer Moms can be particularly dangerous and self-righteous re: sharing the road. I've honestly had some bad run-ins with them in town.

S. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris deTurk said...

Driving ignorance is bliss. You never know what is going on in people's lives. I.e. maybe she just caught her husband cheating on her with some hot biker babe. Now, you're the target. Outta my way jerkass!

Most likely though she's just a fucking bitch who has no idea what it's like to be a bike commuter.