Friday, October 18, 2013

Hamburger

Every Sunday after church my Mom would make hamburgers for lunch.  They were simple burgers of ground beef seasoned with salt, black pepper and garlic powder fried in a cast iron skillet.  She gave the cast iron skillet and if you have had bacon at my house you have eating out of this skillet.  I love a good burger and burgers are America's global culinary contribution with a few Germans claiming the first.  Of course I had to try a street burger and hotdog stand which are parked every few blocks.  There may or may not have been a long ride before and yes I will return larger than ever.  The burger was not what I consider a burger rather a slim patty of pink sludge with beef flavor lost in ham, cheese, bacon, salsas, pickled veggies and condiments.  Slightly offended by the claim these are burgers made me feel a little French.  Regardless, I am embracing other cultures interpretation rather than remain locked into the burgers of yesteryear.  I would rather eat freaky burgers than be forced to attend church again.

Now the hotdog is mystery meat wherever you go, parts is parts.  If you top it with a bunches of little fried potatoes, you get a highfive.

No comments: